Organization of the Finnish National Gallery
Management of the Finnish National Gallery
Chair: General Director Risto Ruohonen
Vice Chair: Director of Administration Janne Puhakka
Members: Director of Collections Management Riitta Ojanperä, Museum Director Kirsi Eskelinen, Museum Director Leevi Haapala, Museum Director Susanna Pettersson.
Board of the Finnish National Gallery
The Board of the Finnish National Gallery makes decisions concerning the main objectives and strategy of operation and finances. It also prepares the National Gallery’s annual report. The Board is appointed by the Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture.
Composition of the Board 2014–2017
Chair: President Tarja Halonen
Vice Chair: Docent Hannele Lehto
Members: Managing Director Martin Estlander, Professor Heikki Hanka, Chairperson of the Board Mauri Niemi, Museum Director Riitta Valorinta.
Council of the Finnish National Gallery
The governance of the Finnish National Gallery is overseen by a Council appointed by the Ministry of Education and Culture.
Composition of the Council 2016–2018
Chair: President of the Finnish Art Society Lasse Saarinen
Vice Chair: Member of Parliament Juhana Vartiainen
Members: Member of Parliament Eeva-Johanna Eloranta, Member of Parliament Kimmo Kivelä, Member of Parliament Aila Paloniemi, Member of Parliament Paavo Arhinmäki, Member of Parliament Mikaela Nylander, Member of Parliament Emma Kari, Member of Parliament Antero Laukkanen, Artist Ida Pimenoff, Painter, Dean Markus Konttinen, Student Titta Aaltonen
The duties of the Finnish National Gallery are laid down in the Government Act and Decree on the Finnish National Gallery, and in the Rules of Procedure adopted by the National Gallery’s Board. The Rules of Procedure contain provisions regarding the regulations of the National Gallery, its organisation and its duties, and decision-making procedures. The Rules of Procedure complement the Act and the Decree on the National Gallery.
Act of the Finnish National Gallery (889/2013) (in Finnish)
Government Decree on the Finnish National Gallery (1074/2013) (in Finnish)